When my doctor told me my pregnancy test was positive, I was overwhelmed with different emotions. I went into nurturing and protective mode, thinking of how I’d ensure my baby would be safe and comfortable. Then, I started thinking about how I would get the best bassinet for small spaces since that was my living situation then, and I wanted my baby close to me at all times.
The feeling of bringing life into this world, someone who carries your DNA, someone who is your person, is indescribably amazing. However, it can also be overwhelming because you are now responsible for a whole human being, someone with eyes, feet, hands, and personality.
Preparing for your baby’s arrival can help to reduce anxiety. But, if you don’t know where to start, check out this list of items you need to have on your baby registry, and it will guide you.
Another thing you need to do is get a baby bassinet.
First, if you are wondering whether you need a crib or bassinet, check this amazing guide we put together to make you informed in no time. OK, now let’s get to it.
Research shows that newborns spend up to 18 hours a day sleeping. Therefore, they need to be somewhere safe but cozy enough to make them feel like they’re still in the womb, and this is where a bassinet comes in. You can position it next to your bed at night or move it around the house during the day to ensure you constantly keep an eye on your baby.
With all the options out there, the process of choosing the suitable bassinet for your baby can be confusing, especially if you are living in a small space. That’s why we are here to help narrow down these options by showing you the seven best bassinets for small spaces.
Let’s get started!
- What Is A Bassinet?
- How Long Should A Baby Use A Bassinet?
- What To Look For In A Baby Bassinet?
- 7 Best Bassinet For Small Spaces
- Final Thoughts
What Is A Bassinet?
This refers to a bed or sleeping space meant for newborn babies. It is smaller than a crib and so it can fit well near your bed or in a small nursery because it doesn’t take up a lot of space.
Think of a bassinet as a temporary place where your baby sleeps before you feel comfortable transferring them to the crib.
If they usually sleep in their crib at night, then a bassinet helps you to keep an eye on them during the day. This is because they are light, and some have wheels which means you can move them from room to room instead of being worried that your baby is sleeping alone while you’re taking care of something in another room.
Bassinets are designed with lower sides, making it easier to place your baby and pick them up.
How Long Should A Baby Use A Bassinet?
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends sleeping with your child for the first six months. According to AAP, this is a safe sleeping environment because it helps to significantly reduce the chances of Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
Although 6 months is the recommended period, it is important to acknowledge that some children grow up faster than others. Therefore, there are signs you can look out for when they’re between 4 to 6 months that will tell you they’re ready to transition from the bassinet to the crib.
When your baby can comfortably roll over, sit up or move around the bassinet, they’ve outgrown it.
You can also check the manufacturer’s guidelines when buying a bassinet. They normally indicate whether it’s suited for 0 to 6 months or 0 to 4 months and so on.
What To Look For In A Baby Bassinet?
Knowing what to look for in a baby bassinet will guide you in getting the best one for your baby? Below are some factors you should consider when picking out a bassinet.
Does it meet safety standards?
You want to ensure the bassinet you buy is safe for your precious baby. That is why it’s important to check if it meets the safety standards of your country.
For example, the American standard is ASTM F2194, while for European countries, it’s EN 1130-1 & EN 1130-2. You can learn more about these standards here.
Age and weight limit?
The manufacturers usually indicate the age and weight limit for each bassinet.
You should check out these limits to ensure your child will be safe in them. For example, most of them indicate holding a baby whose weight is between 15 to 20 pounds. That means when your baby gets to, for example, 23 pounds, you shouldn’t use it because your child will be too heavy for the bassinet, and it may collapse with them inside, which is dangerous.
That means your baby’s weight matters.
Additionally, if the manufacturer indicates that the small space bassinet you are considering can only be used for five months, then don’t continue to use it when your baby is six months old.
Check these limits when buying a bassinet for small spaces to ensure you get one that meets your needs.
If you live in a small place or want to save on space, you need to check the measurements to ensure you get the best bassinet for small spaces.
After looking at the size, ask yourself whether it will fit in the space you want it in, such as next to your bed.
Easy to clean
Your baby may sweat or drool on the bassinet while sleeping. They may even pee when you change their diapers, or their diapers can leak as they sleep.
That’s why it’s essential to get one that is easy to clean because it will be easier to maintain good hygiene, and your baby will always be in a clean place. So, for example, the mattress and cover should be easily washable.
Crib sheets are on the list of must-have items for expecting parents to include on their baby registry. So, you can consider buying some extras so you can change them often to ensure your baby’s sleeping area stays clean and fresh.
Check the features
What features do you value in a bassinet? For example, do you need one with wheels so you can move it with you as you go about your duties? Do you need one that can rock your baby to sleep?
Additionally, some have vibrations, and others come with music, all aimed at soothing your baby.
Figure out what you prefer and go for a suitable bassinet for small spaces with those features.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that about 3,500 children lose their lives every year to complications during sleep, and one of these complications is suffocation.
This is scary!
It is extremely important for your baby to have enough air and room to breathe while on the bassinet. One with mesh sides is excellent at allowing air to circulate. You can also go for a breathable mattress and ensure the beddings are always clean.
Imagine you are somewhere in the house with your baby in their bassinet and you need to change their diaper, but it is in another room. Having to wheel your baby back to that room or dashing to get the diaper then coming back.
If you want to take care of your baby from any part of the house, then a bassinet with storage will do you good. You can have some baby essentials on it to use whenever you need them.
7 Best Bassinet For Small Spaces
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
One of the practical tips for first-time moms you can incorporate to make your life easier is to be organized before the baby arrives. Getting a bassinet is a great way of doing that.
Let’s look at the 7 best bassinets for small spaces that we recommend.
1. Bellababy Bedside Sleeper Bassinet
The dimensions (length, width, and height) are 39.37 x 6.5 x 23.62 inches respectively.
You can use it on its own or attach it to your bed. It can accommodate a weight of up to 3 -11.5kg/ 6-25 lb and is recommended for newborns to 5.5 months old babies.
There are several reasons why we recommend the Bellabbaby Bedside Sleeper bassinet for anyone looking for bassinets for small spaces:
- Two of its sides are designed using mesh fabric which allows your baby to enjoy fresh air whenever he or she is in the bassinet. Being able to look at your baby through the mesh (for example, when you’re sleeping) will also give you comfort.
- It is of great quality (the frame is made from superior quality aluminum) and has sturdy legs. These will ensure your baby’s safety.
- It has wheels and is light, which makes it portable. This is amazing because it enables you to do your chores with your baby in sight. You can also move it from one place to another or even travel with it.
- It is easy to install. Most parents said it took them about 3 minutes to assemble it.
- The height is adjustable, meaning it can fit the size of your bed, even if it is high.
- It has a large storage space beneath it where you can store baby essentials. Therefore, you can grab whatever you need (wipes, changes of clothes, or diapers) even at night and use them instead of going across the room to get them.
2. Delta Children Deluxe 2 Bassinet
This bassinet can accommodate up to 15 pounds of weight, and its dimensions are 37 x 21 x 39 inches (LxWxH).
Delta children deluxe made it to the list of best bassinets for small spaces because of its amazing features;
- It is a 2 in 1. The basket at the top can be detached from the rest of the structure. Therefore, you can use it separately (for example, if you want to place it on the bed). If your baby falls asleep in another room, you don’t need to wheel the entire bassinet to your bedroom or the nursery. You can simply carry the top part only, with them inside. You can also use it as a whole.
- It has a cover that comes in handy when you want to reduce the amount of light your baby is exposed to especially if they’re sleeping during the day when the room is bright. If you use a ceiling fan at night and you feel like the wind from it might be too strong then you can also put a blanket on the cover to protect your baby.
- It is easy to assemble.
- It comes with an electronic pod that provides lights, vibrations, and sounds. If you want your baby to fall asleep on their own, you can play some soothing music or turn the vibrations on.
- It has sizeable storage for baby essentials.
- Comes with two hanging toys which will entertain your baby when they are bored or awake from a nap.
- Has wheels and so you can move it from one place to another.
3. Besrey Baby Bassinet
The Besrey baby bassinet’s length, weight, and height are 36.6 x 26 x 39.3 inches, respectively. Therefore, it can comfortably hold a weight of up to 33 pounds.
- It is perfect for small spaces because it is compact and easily foldable. Therefore, you can put it away when it’s not in use or easily carry it to another section of the house.
- It performs various functions. For example, your baby can sleep in it wherever it is stationed, it can perform the rocking motion, and you can wheel it around (it simply glides on surfaces, including carpets).
- The height is adjustable (two different heights) so you can pick which one you are comfortable with.
- It is safe, stable, has mesh, and a breathable net. These ensure your child sleeps in a safe and comfortable place.
- The parts are easy to put together.
- The fact that you can zip up the net makes it safer for your baby especially if you have pets around that like to cuddle or sleep with the baby. Now, you can keep them out.
4. Yoleo Baby Bassinet
The dimensions for the Yoleo baby bassinet are 38.6 x 21.3 x 31.5 inches (L x W x H) and it can accommodate more weight than the average bassinet. Your baby can comfortably use it until they are 44 pounds. And you cannot deny how beautiful it is. Who wouldn’t want their baby to sleep in such a good-looking bassinet?
There are so many reasons Yoleo made it to the best bassinet for small spaces:
- It is made with high-quality material (frame is designed with solid wood) which makes it durable and ensures your baby’s safety.
- It has massive storage so whether you need to grab the baby’s diapers, wipes, or sweater in the middle of the night, you can do it without getting off your bed.
- The Yoleo bassinet stands out because you can open one of its sides and attach it to your mattress if you want to have your baby closer to you. There‘s no space between your bed and the bassinet when you do this and you don’t need to add a pillow or anything.
- The mattress and beddings are soft. It also comes with a baby pillow. Your baby will thus sleep comfortably.
- It rocks and so it comes in handy when you need to calm your baby or soothe them to sleep.
- It is easy to install.
- You can easily wheel it around the house.
- It comes with a mosquito net which you can remove or use anytime. This is quite convenient because you may need the net sometimes and other times, prefer the baby to sleep without it.
- It has a soft breathable mesh that enables air to circulate properly around the bassinet.
- It has a rocking function.
5. Delta Children Deluxe Bassinet
The Delta children deluxe bassinet can hold a weight of up to 15 pounds, and its dimensions are 45 inches (length), 17 inches (width), and 33 inches (height). If you’re looking for a bassinet for small spaces that is easy to use, functional, and aesthetically pleasing, then this is it.
- It has lights and music feature which can help soothe your baby to sleep. All you need to do is buy 4 AA batteries for the music box.
- The wheels are easily moveable so you can have your baby with you regardless of which part of the house you are in.
- The canopy (at the top) is adjustable and removable so you can have it when you want to block off too much light so your baby can sleep well or remove it when he or she is awake.
- It’s sturdy and can hold your baby safely. Just ensure you tighten all the screws and subbort bars so it can be stable.
- You can put it together on your own because it’s easy to assemble.
- It has a storage area under it for baby’s items.
6. Maxi-Cosi Lora Bassinet
The Maxi-Cosi lora bassinet’s dimensions are 40.55 x 22.44 x 7.28 inches, representing length, width, and height respectively.
This bassinet has impressive features such as:
- The sides are all covered with breathable mesh so even if your baby puts their face to the side of the bed, they’ll still be safe. It also allows you to see your baby properly at all times.
- This bassinet for small spaces easily fits in place (next to your bed) which will give you peace of mind.
- You can adjust the height so you don’t have to worry if your bed is quite high.
- The storage area beneath it provides ample space for baby essentials.
- It is sturdy so it can comfortably hold your baby.
- The mattress is quite comfy which allows your baby to sleep soundly. The mattress cover is also washable. It is important to note that this bassinet doesn’t come with a sheet, so you’ll need to buy that separately.
7. MiClassic All Mesh Bassinet
The MiClassic all mesh bassinet is one of the best bassinets for small spaces. However, we highly recommend it for parents who travel a lot.
- This bassinet folds very easily and so it makes traveling easy. It is also convenient for small spaces because you’ll just fold the bassinet and keep it away whenever you are not using it. It comes with a carry bag which you can use to put the bassinet and store it or travel with. The carry bag is sizeable and you can even include some items like diapers and wipes.
- It has breathable mesh all around it so you can easily see your baby through and they can also get enough air circulation.
- The bassinet is very light therefore easy to move from one room to another or to travel with.
- It has a rocking mode so you can keep it still or make it rock when you want to calm or soothe your baby. You just fold the legs inward when you want it to rock and leave the legs flat if you want it to be stationary.
- You should know that the bassinet is a little bit high so if your bed is low, you may have to sit up on the bed so you can get the baby out as opposed to getting the baby when you are lying down.
These 7 best bassinets for small spaces prove that you don’t need to live in a mansion to have a bassinet for your baby. There’s something for everyone, and you can have a bassinet that meets your needs. We are curious to know; which of these bassinets for small spaces are you interested in? We hope this guide has gotten you closer to selecting the right bassinet for your baby. We know how overwhelming motherhood can be, but you are here looking for a way to make your baby comfortable and safe means you are already doing a great job. You can check out some inspirational quotes for first-time moms to encourage you on this journey. You can also use these tips to help you have a stress-free pregnancy. We wish you all the best.
Hi – I’m Alina and I am a soon to be mom going through the journey of becoming a parent. I am a writer at heart and I love sharing about pregnancy tips and other busy mom hacks.